Thursday, March 28, 2013

What Kate Likes: Oxford Shirts

I am not exaggerating when I say that about a quarter to a third of my wardrobe is Oxford shirts. They're not the "comfort food" of my wardrobe, but more the "turkey sandwich"--simple, easy, and almost always appropriate. That's a weird metaphor but you get me...I hope.

I wear Oxfords with everything: jeans and boots in the fall, dress pants and a suit for interviews, shorts in the summer, tucked into skirts. If you get one that's fitted correctly, it's almost as comfortable as wearing a t-shirt but looks way more polished.

My very favorite Oxfords/button ups are from Ann Mashburn, but I've found good ones at all price points. The AM ones are pricey but are so well made and such good quality that they last a looooong time. Disclaimer: I interned for Ann Mashburn this past summer.

Here are my top picks...

1. Kiel James Patrick Scallop Oxford in Riven Rock: Umm how adorable is that scallop edge on the collar? I am kind of obsessed with it. What a great way to spiff up an otherwise unremarkable shirt!

2. J. Crew Boy shirt in linen stripe: A perfect tomboy shirt in a perfect summery fabric. And on sale too!

3. J. Crew Perfect shirt in Citrus Print: Ummm a tangerine-printed shirt? So cute and so cheerful for spring or whenever you need a pop of bright color.

4. Merona Favorite Oxford shirt in Amparo blue: I have this shirt in the peachy color, and it's surprisingly great for the price. It's roomy enough that I don't feel constrained or uncomfortable, but fitted enough so you don't look like you're wearing your boyfriend's shirt.

5. Old Navy Oxford in Green Dot: Such an on-trend color for spring! I have an oxford I got from Old Navy years ago and I love it because it gets softer and softer with each wash...I'm assuming this Oxford would be the same way.

6. Rivet & Thread chambray workshirt: Not technically an Oxford, but still a buttonup shirt! I have a chambray shirt that I bought a few years ago and while I find it very versatile, I'm not crazy about the fit. This Rivet & Thread one is a much more flattering fit and would only get better the more it's worn.

7. Madewell Plaid Popover: I love plaid almost as much as I love stripes, so of course I love this boyfriend-esque popover. This would be great with white shorts for the summer or white jeans for spring!

What are your favorite button up shirts? Any I need to know about? I'm all ears!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments! Make sure to have an email address connected with your account so I can respond to you!

xx